The road that snakes along the north-west coast of Lombok is extremely beautiful and well worth exploring. Sweeping ocean views stretch across to Bali and the silhouetted outline of the hypnotic Mount Agung. Fishing villages, coconut groves, golden beaches and fields of Lombok’s pretty brown cows line the road. Apart from the area immediately around Senggigi (Lombok’s beachside tourist town, with a choice of bars and restaurants), the countryside is quiet and unspoiled.
While the rocky beach directly below the villa is not suitable for swimming, sandy Malimbu Bay is within walking distance, and the world-famous Gili Islands with their pristine waters, golden beaches and excellent dive sites are easily accessible (15 minutes by fast boat, 30 minutes by local boat) from the small harbour of Bangsal just 10 kilometres from the villa.
The villa is a 1.5 hour drive from the new Lombok International Airport.
Malimbu Beach2 km
Sengiggi Beach9 km
Batu Bolong12 km
3 Island16 km
Banyu Mulek33 km
Suka Rare46 km
Lombok International Airport55 km
Kuta Beach75 km
Things to do
Your Villa Manager has a wealth of information about nearby places of interest and will help make any bookings required. Do also ask the staff about the local area. Many of them live nearby and will be able to give an interesting insight into some of the fascinating aspects of Lombok life.
In the meantime, here's a taste of the many and varied activities on offer within reach of Malimbu Cliff Villa.
- Play a round of golf at the Lombok Golf Kosaido Country Club – a serene 18-hole championship course on Sira bay with dramatic views of Mount Rinjani.
- If it is nightlife you are after then head to nearby town Senggigi for exciting bars and restaurants, popular with tourists.
- Go scuba diving or snorkelling in the crystal aquamarine waters of the Gili Islands, famed for their many sea turtles, or simply laze in a hammock on the white sandy beaches of Gili Trawangan, Meno or Air. Boats to the islands are easily organised.
- If you are up for a challenge and have three days to spare, trek to the rim of Mount Rinjani, Lombok’s revered volcano. Alternatively, a daytrip to the waterfalls in the surrounding national park is well worth your while and a good guide can be arranged if you want to venture off the beaten track.
- Pamper yourself with an in-villa massage or spa treatment, or visit the lovely spa at nearby Qunci Villas.
- Go on a souvenir shopping spree to Lombok’s pottery, weaving and basketware villages, or visit Sweta’s Bertais market which sells pretty much everything made on the island.
- Lombok is well known for its pearl farms. For loose pearls and pearl jewellery, visit one of the specialist retail outlets in Sekarbela near Mataram.
- For a change of scene, eat out at the fascinating living museum, Hotel Tugu, or enjoy a gourmet dinner at the 5-star Oberoi Lombok.
- Learn about Lombok’s cultural heritage on a visit to a traditional Sasak tribal village.
- Ask the Elite Concierge to arrange a tour with a local surf guide who will take you to some of the best surfing spots on the island.